Monday, July 12, 2010

Rhodia Pencil Review

Given my fondness for sketching with graphite pencils, I had been meaning to try the Rhodia Pencils for a while now.
Thanks to Karen from Exaclair, I got a few of them in my last box of review samples.
Each Rhodia Pencil came individually wrapped in a resealable bag.
As far as I can tell, the Rhodia pencil is available only in HB which works well for writing and some sketching. The California Republic Palomino 2B pencil draws a couple of shades darker and features a redder orange barrel. Both pencils have fine graphite leads that glided smoothly on both Rhodia pads used in this review.It sharpened easily with an Alvin Brass Bullet sharpener.
The triangular profile of its barrel prevented it from rolling off an inclined drawing table. Made this 3-minute video review and speed sketch on a Rhodia dotPad.
In short, the Rhodia pencil would make a fine addition to a collection of premium pencils given its unique look and smooth performance. Its signature orange barrel is naturally a perfect match for the classic Rhodia pads, and it makes it stand out among the clutter of my drawing table. While I have yet to find them at a brick and mortar store, a quick online search is bound to yield a few online retailers that keep them on stock.

No comments: