Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pentel Slicci 0.8 mm metallic gel pens first impression

Some of the other Pentel samples I received this week: 0.25 mm and 0.8 mm Slicci gel pens. I did not know that Slicci pens came in metallic colors with 0.8 mm tips.
First test doodle using the Pentel Slicci sample gel pens on a Moleskine daily planner.
Drawing a coloring outline with a black Slicci 0.25 mm gel pen on white card stock.
Coloring with other Slicci 0.25 mm red, blue, and green gel pens.
Finished coloring with the Slicci 0.8 mm metallic pens. Some "Kaiju" Japanese creature designs drawn with an EnerGel® Deluxe Retractable 0.7mm metal tip liquid gel roller pen and colored with the Slicci gel pens and a Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto Multi pen.
Ever since I found them in a store in Shanghai, the Pentel Slicci fine point gel pens replaced the Pilot Hi-Tec-C as my preferred color sketching gel pens with their sturdier pen points and sleek-looking caps. I have suffered too many Hi-Tec-C pens' ink flow failures while I have yet to experience the same problem with any of my Slicci pens. When new, both pen brands perform smoothly laying down uniform colorful fine lines without skipping. Yet several of my Hi-Tec-C 0.25 mm and 0.3 mm pens either dried up or suffered clogging damage to their tips during regular use and stopped writing while still having an ample supply of ink left. Now I tend to use just the 0.4 mm and 0.5 mm Hi-Tec-C pens along with a Coleto multi pen that remain in my supply drawers and still write well. The new Slicci 0.8 mm gold, bronze, and metallic red made a positive first impression with their smooth ink flow and thick sparkling lines. They would certainly make nice tools for decorating journals and greeting cards, but I have yet to find out what retail outlets will be carrying them. So far I have been unable to find any further info on them in any online searches.

Yet my absolute favorite gel pen in my daily sketching kit remains the black Uni-ball Signo DX 0.38 mm gel pen, for its waterproof ink allows me to color my black and white sketches with water soluble crayons or actual pan watercolors without any smearing of the inked outlines. For all their virtues, the Slicci and Hi-Tec-C inks are unfortunately not waterproof.

UPDATE: This post was included in the first edition of the "Carnival of Pen, Pencil and Paper", go check it out for other interesting articles and nice blogs that you might want to add to your reading list.

No comments: